Attacks on artists

Michael-Myers.net General Discussion - Talk about the movies & masks here
Forum rules
- Please treat your fellow members and moderators with respect.
- Stay out of arguments (Don't fuel the fire). If you have nothing positive to say, move on to the next thread.
- If a thread is locked, deleted, or warnings were issued, a member should not open a new thread asking why such actions were taken.
- Avoid flaming, bashing, or other negativity.
- Be positive and have fun!

Re: Attacks on artists

Postby NY GHOUL » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:02 am

The Duel Truck Driver wrote:I just think this is all absolutely PATHETIC.

Get things into perspective.

We are here on this website to enjoy our HOBBY.

Not to make bitchy comments, argue about who did what and when, and who said what to who.

This place is supposed to be enjoyable, a place for people to come to in their spare time and relax and to indulge our Myers passion.

STOP acting like children, STOP being nasty, STOP being dishonest, and just start LIVING LIFE.

Totally agreed, 100%.
I love this place, love the hobby and have made some killer friends here. That being said, every so many months there seems to be some new drama popping up. ALL centered around: accusations, rumors and semantics.
We need to keep things in perspective and enjoy ourselves. This latest debacle takes the cake, Nik went from being worshiped by the masses to being ousted and shamed. Who and what is next? Stop the fighting, it just leads to schisms.

NY GHOUL

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Myers N San Diego » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:22 am

NY GHOUL wrote:
Who and what is next?

My question exactly. It's almost getting to the point where one will have to get permission from the board before purchasing a mask. I'm more scarred of the direction we as a community have been heading into than I am of any Horror Movie.
Nick

My Myers
JC/DP- '99 H1 Shat
JC/DP- '99 H2 Shat
Myers N San Diego
Michael-Myers.net Contributor

Postby crofader » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 am

Myers N San Diego wrote:
NY GHOUL wrote:
Who and what is next?

My question exactly. It's almost getting to the point where one will have to get permission from the board before purchasing a mask. I'm more scarred of the direction we as a community have been heading into than I am of any Horror Movie.
Nick

How about placing the blame on the person themselves. Nik violated countless rules and was given countless warnings and he thought he was bigger than this place and could do and say whatever he wanted with no recourse. I didn't reply in the 50-one-50 topic. I corrected what deathwalk wrote about the incident Nik and I had and left it at that. No drama, no bashing. The next thing I know I'm being wished death by Cancer from Nik. These are the type of people you want on the board? If you truly want no drama on this board you should be glad the main source of all this drama is now banned. Then again it never seems to amaze me who and what people will defend to get a product they like.
crofader

Postby NY GHOUL » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:17 am

crofader wrote:
Myers N San Diego wrote:
NY GHOUL wrote:
Who and what is next?

Nick

How about placing the blame on the person themselves. Nik violated countless rules and was given countless warnings and he thought he was bigger than this place and could do and say whatever he wanted with no recourse. I didn't reply in the 50-one-50 topic. I corrected what deathwalk wrote about the incident Nik and I had and left it at that. No drama, no bashing. The next thing I know I'm being wished death by Cancer from Nik. These are the type of people you want on the board? If you truly want no drama on this board you should be glad the main source of all this drama is now banned. Then again it never seems to amaze me who and what people will defend to get a product they like.

Good points, and you are 100% correct making the point that too many times people "look away" just to be able to justify buying a certain artist's masks. Its a mob mentality in a sense. When an artist is the hot thing, everyone is plunking down their cash, possibly even overlooking or forgiving bad business and nastiness. Then, when said artist is no longer "the in thing", the same people are calling for his head!
People who stir up trouble SHOULD be booted and I support that. its just sad that these kind of things go on in such a small hobby. The majority of Myers mask collectors are all right here on this one site.

NY GHOUL

Postby Kirk Magnum » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:33 am

Myers N San Diego wrote:
Nick

Don't be a sheep and collect what you want to collect...that is my motto.

"Some" people on this board would sell their mothers to own something close to the original mask from Halloween and that is pretty sad. We were heading in a terrible direction because of the "nudging" of a few...thankfully some elders spoke up and stopped the chaos from happening.

The whole thing reminds me of the end of John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. The minion reaching thru the mirror and pulling darkness to our side and then, suddenly a priest throws the axe chattering the mirror saving the world. Darkness subsides and all is well with the world...for a while.

There's scare in the air, a tale of wicked delight, a tale of a terrifying Halloween night.
Kirk Magnum

Postby puckface » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 am

I feel like far too many members are looking at the "Nik being banned" situation as if we've overthrown our King and we're now scared to proceed without him. The guy hardly respected any of us, including myself. He was friends when you wanted his product, and against you if you wanted someone else'.

Nik was not a King. He offered a popular product that seemed to be his "Get out of jail free" card with some of his customers. I will never support an artist who was as disrespectful Nik was. I don't care how bad I want the product. There will always be those who could care less and just want what he offers, which is fine and your own personal business. But in this hobby (which it's hard to call these days), I try to support those worth supporting and stray away from those who cast negativity across the community. When I purchase a mask, I want the artist/seller to appreciate my business and think of me as more than just a Paypal address. (That may sound like a lot to ask for, but I share that same respect with anyone I sell to.)

Nik will still sell masks and they will still be posted here. But the fact that he is learning his lesson (for now) makes me feel a bit better. I have a strange feeling he will be back soon, but at least this "time out" finally brought out the things that needed to be said. More members should realize that (within reason and with proper maturity) anything can be properly discussed. Hiding behind a computer screen and keeping quiet is not always for the best.

Do I like drama? Of course not. In fact, I've kept quiet lately merely to avoid it. But if something absolutely needs to be said or taken notice of, stay civil, keep a cool head, and THINK before you type. You give respect to get it, and that's the bottom line. Some people didn't follow that way of reasoning, and now we all see where it got them.

Last edited by puckface on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

puckface

Postby Myers N San Diego » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:08 am

Kirk Magnum wrote:
Myers N San Diego wrote:
Nick

"Some" people on this board would sell their mothers to own something close to the original mask from Halloween and that is pretty sad. We were heading in a terrible direction because of the "nudging" of a few...thankfully some elders spoke up and stopped the chaos from happening.

The whole thing reminds me of the end of John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. The minion reaching thru the mirror and pulling darkness to our side and then, suddenly a priest throws the axe chattering the mirror saving the world. Darkness subsides and all is well with the world...for a while.

Yes Billy..thank you. I also would like to add that in my quote to NY Ghoul ( who is an awesome guy, sorry for mis quoting you), I was not supporting Nik in any way shape or form. The stuff he did and wrote was beyond appalling "Cultural Differences" or not. I'd like to know, regarding the "Cultural Difference" what the term Die of Cancer translates to in Greece? My point in quoting NY was Yes...who's next? This happens way too much to the point where it's becoming expected almost. The other issue I had, which I should not have posted because it's a separate issue and I'm sorry for bringing it up is that "Nudge" that Billy stated in his above post. I'm sorry, I should have broken that down better.
Nick

My Myers
JC/DP- '99 H1 Shat
JC/DP- '99 H2 Shat
Myers N San Diego

Postby deathwalk79 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:14 am

Excellent post Scott! This is a perfect example for all of us, myself included.
Putting all of Nik's products aside and what he's "done" for people around here. If he said any of those horrible things about your(community as a whole)loved one's and wished death upon you, would he still be welcome here?

On a side note, it was Billy Kirkus and Justin Mabry, that kicked the Myers hobby in full gear. Without them and other artists(before Nik)we wouldn't be where we are today.

deathwalk79

Postby whiteshark » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:47 am

WELL said!

puckface wrote:I feel like far too many members are looking at the "Nik being banned" situation as if we've overthrown our King and we're now scared to proceed without him. The guy hardly respected any of us, including myself. He was friends when you wanted his product, and against you if you wanted someone else'.

Nik was not a King. He offered a popular product that seemed to be his "Get out of jail free" card with some of his customers. I will never support an artist who was as disrespectful Nik was. I don't care how bad I want the product. There will always be those who could care less and just want what he offers, which is fine and your own personal business. But in this hobby (which it's hard to call these days), I try to support those worth supporting and stray away from those who cast negativity across the community. When I purchase a mask, I want the artist/seller to appreciate my business and think of me as more than just a Paypal address. (That may sound like a lot to ask for, but I share that same respect with anyone I sell to.)

Nik will still sell masks and they will still be posted here. But the fact that he is learning his lesson (for now) makes me feel a bit better. I have a strange feeling he will be back soon, but at least this "time out" finally brought out the things that needed to be said. More members should realize that (within reason and with proper maturity) anything can be properly discussed. Hiding behind a computer screen and keeping quiet is not always for the best.

Do I like drama? Of course not. In fact, I've kept quiet lately merely to avoid it. But if something absolutely needs to be said or taken notice of, stay civil, keep a cool head, and THINK before you type. You give respect to get it, and that's the bottom line. Some people didn't follow that way of reasoning, and now we all see where it got them.

" JUST TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHAT WE'RE DEALING WITH HERE. DON'T UNDERESTIMATE IT."
whiteshark

Postby NY GHOUL » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Myers N San Diego wrote:
Kirk Magnum wrote:
Myers N San Diego wrote:
Nick

Yes Billy..thank you. I also would like to add that in my quote to NY Ghoul ( who is an awesome guy, sorry for mis quoting you), I was not supporting Nik in any way shape or form. The stuff he did and wrote was beyond appalling "Cultural Differences" or not. I'd like to know, regarding the "Cultural Difference" what the term Die of Cancer translates to in Greece? My point in quoting NY was Yes...who's next? This happens way too much to the point where it's becoming expected almost. The other issue I had, which I should not have posted because it's a separate issue and I'm sorry for bringing it up is that "Nudge" that Billy stated in his above post. I'm sorry, I should have broken that down better.
Nick

hey brother, no worries i dont think you misquoted me in anyway. I got you bro, and i think we are on the same page.
As for a cultural difference in lingo? I do think certain cultures have a more...ahem..."colorful" way of talking. I dont think nik meant it literally but it was an inexcusable and terrible thing to say. I think we've all felt the cruel hand of cancer, I know I have. :(

NY GHOUL

Postby ClickClickPow » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:04 pm

deathwalk79 wrote:Excellent post Scott! This is a perfect example for all of us, myself included.
Putting all of Nik's products aside and what he's "done" for people around here. If he said any of those horrible things about your(community as a whole)loved one's and wished death upon you, would he still be welcome here?

On a side note, it was Billy Kirkus and Justin Mabry, that kicked the Myers hobby in full gear. Without them and other artists(before Nik)we wouldn't be where we are today.

See there's my issue. Of course Justin's work and Billy's mask etc were some of the launching pads, nobody has ever said different. In that it gets brought up, it also reveals another wart and motive to me.

Look, if Nik is banned for good its his own fault, it was his choice to say what he did, and he's always seemed to me to be rough around the edges, to put it mildly.

But for whatever reason, just as somebody looking at the whole picture, although there are legitimate beefs some members have with the guy, there's also a segment of guys in here that just add to the mess, openly starting crap threads, basically calling Nik out and just taunting him to take the bait...and in the process get himself into trouble.

If its wrong for him to lash out and belittle others, its just as wrong for people to do their little gang mentality in here and sneak around here with their ulterior motives instigating trouble. It happens all time.

Which brings me back to my other point that I didn't make at the start. If you love a certain artist or maker that's great, its awesome to enjoy somebody's art and work, especially enough to fork over your money to own something they created.

But while most folks are honest about their intentions, some aren't so upfront. A few seen to want to sabotage others and set little traps and play games in order to bring someone else down. These people need to look in the mirror.

-Dylan
ClickClickPow

Postby Sheriff Brackett » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Guys, come on. It's a very rare occurence for someone to be attacked or accused of something just out of the blue on this forum. The Myers mask scene has always been dirty with people recasting, clay pressing and using other peoples work to create things. The problem now is artists are now ballsy enough that they can show you a pink ball, you can clearly see its a pink ball, but they swear its blue and you just need to believe them when its clearly not. Don't you dare question the obvious. Those who justifiably scratch their heads and ask questions are shunned as $hit starters.

Hey BK - isn't it great that the only thing we have to worry about as vintage mask collectors is outbidding each other on eBay :mrgreen: .

"Phone never just rings at a police station - no way, no how!" - Redneck H4

Sheriff L. Brackett
Haddonfield Sheriff's Department
Warren County, Illinois.
Sheriff Brackett

Postby crofader » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:20 pm

ClickClickPow wrote:
deathwalk79 wrote:Excellent post Scott! This is a perfect example for all of us, myself included.

See there's my issue. Of course Justin's work and Billy's mask etc were some of the launching pads, nobody has ever said different. In that it gets brought up, it also reveals another wart and motive to me.

Look, if Nik is banned for good its his own fault, it was his choice to say what he did, and he's always seemed to me to be rough around the edges, to put it mildly.

But for whatever reason, just as somebody looking at the whole picture, although there are legitimate beefs some members have with the guy, there's also a segment of guys in here that just add to the mess, openly starting crap threads, basically calling Nik out and just taunting him to take the bait...and in the process get himself into trouble.

If its wrong for him to lash out and belittle others, its just as wrong for people to do their little gang mentality in here and sneak around here with their ulterior motives instigating trouble. It happens all time.

Which brings me back to my other point that I didn't make at the start. If you love a certain artist or maker that's great, its awesome to enjoy somebody's art and work, especially enough to fork over your money to own something they created.

But while most folks are honest about their intentions, some aren't so upfront. A few seen to want to sabotage others and set little traps and play games in order to bring someone else down. These people need to look in the mirror.

-Dylan

Well lets open this up because he got banned for what he said to me. What did I say that was poking the bear or setting a trap for him? I avoid most things Nik because I know he can't control himself. The only thing I posted was clearing up another members statement so this excuse for Nik's behavior doesn't fly with me. This ulterior motive grand master plan "we" had for Nik is laughable. Maybe some of you guys need to look in the mirror and stop making excuses for actions that are inexcusable. I know he wished cancer on you BUT.... Now that's saying something...
crofader

Postby deathwalk79 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:28 pm

If you look back at my posts, I'm hardly one to ever instigate trouble around here. Sure I'm not perfect, who is? I've made my share of snide comments, comes with the territory in this hobby. As far as Nik is concerned, well quite frankly, his character or lack of makes me sick. That's my beef! I could honestly care less if he sells masks around here or not. I've been around people with his type of mentality my whole life, came from a very rough background so this kind of behavior really effects me negatively.

I'm tired of being labeled as the bad guy for calling him out. I've never once said anything to someone around here to the same extent he has. Never! This goes back years, it was just a matter of time before he got what was surely coming for him. I'm out!

deathwalk79

Postby THEkiller1963 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 pm

deathwalk79 wrote:If you look back at my posts, I'm hardly one to ever instigate trouble around here. Sure I'm not perfect, who is? I've made my share of snide comments, comes with the territory in this hobby. As far as Nik is concerned, well quite frankly, his character or lack of makes me sick. That's my beef! I could honestly care less if he sells masks around here or not. I've been around people with his type of mentality my whole life, came from a very rough background so this kind of behavior really effects me negatively.

I'm tired of being labeled as the bad guy for calling him out. I've never once said anything to someone around here to the same extent he has. Never! This goes back years, it was just a matter of time before he got what was surely coming for him. I'm out!

Wonderfully stated my friend. I think it shows a real lack of character to say that the people who started these posts should be banned. Why would people say something like that? I wan't to just into their shoes and see what their view is on this because honestly I can not understand why they would still value Nik's membership here. Is it because you value the masks he makes? I have one word for that: WASTED TALENT! Before he came here there wasn't any kind of drama like this. Anyway that's my two cents. I hope we don't linger on this forever and can just move on!

Image Formerly a member since 2009
THEkiller1963

PreviousNext