Passion for the hobby....

Michael-Myers.net General Discussion - Talk about the movies & masks here
Forum rules

- Please treat your fellow members and moderators with respect.

- Stay out of arguments (Don't fuel the fire).

- If you have nothing positive to say, move on to the next thread.

- If a thread is locked, deleted, or warnings were issued, a member should not open a new thread asking why such actions were taken.

- Avoid flaming, bashing, or other negativity.

- Be positive and have fun!

Re: Passion for the hobby....

Postby 3pidemiC » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:00 am

If anybody wonders where I went from 2009-2012, lack of interest would be the reason. I sold just about everything in my collection to pay for other things and I thought that I moved on. But after this past Halloween, I got reinvigorated. Now, my 5 year old nephew is getting into this hobby and it has raised my interest even more! But just like anything, I know my level of interest will come in waves.
Image
User avatar
3pidemiC
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:13 pm
Location: Michigan
  






Re: Passion for the hobby....

Postby MadMyers1975 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:56 am

I have always thought of mine as a lifestyle not a hobby. For years not one day has passed that I don't look at a mask or think of new Halloween projects, not one day goes by that im not thinking about the next Oct.31 :mrgreen:

Just to Keep you guys up to date :wink:

Months Until Halloween: 4

Days Until Halloween: 132

Hours Until Halloween: 3159

Minutes Until Halloween: 189550
Last edited by MadMyers1975 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MadMyers1975
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:42 pm
Location: TN
  

Passion for the hobby....

Postby xxRAGMANxx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:15 am

Great thread! I can relate to just about every perspective that's been shared here. I know that for myself I really struggled with a diminishing interest level late last summer, heading into the Fall. That "magic" that we all speak of, that usually surrounds that time of year, wasn't rearing its head like it ALWAYS had and I had a really hard time with it. It led to me stepping down as the site supervisor at WMP, in an effort to shake the behind the scenes role and try and rediscover my passion as strictly a collector. It certainly helped in the short term leading up to Halloween, but I found myself stepping away from the white mask world all together for about six months. I jumped head first into other hobbies and passions, and about two weeks ago I felt that "itch" again, and I found myself here, perusing the classifieds, then General Discussion, etc. A week went by and before I knew it I was back in the fold, even purchasing a new white mask. The break is exactly what I needed and I'm thankful that I didn't suffer a full blown case of burnout. Being a passionate member of any forum, as well as a collector, is a major investment for most. Factor in a role as a mod, etc. on top of that, and you double your investment. That can be both a good and a bad thing.

My advice to anyone on the brink of stepping away permanently is, take a brief hiatus before you sell one or all of your masks, and discover something new or revisit something old. Because there's certainly a level of excitement associated with returning to this hobby and playing catch up, or discovering that your favorite mask maker has released something new in your absence. Take comfort in knowing that the white mask universe you love so dearly has proven to be the proverbial "cockroach" of the hobby world.

It will always be here, awaiting your return. \M/
Image
"Dead cats hanging from poles, Little dead are out in droves, I remember Halloween..."
User avatar
xxRAGMANxx
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:06 pm
  

Re: Passion for the hobby....

Postby jeremi_02 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:41 am

xxRAGMANxx wrote:Great thread! I can relate to just about every perspective that's been shared here. I know that for myself I really struggled with a diminishing interest level late last summer, heading into the Fall. That "magic" that we all speak of, that usually surrounds that time of year, wasn't rearing its head like it ALWAYS had and I had a really hard time with it. It led to me stepping down as the site supervisor at WMP, in an effort to shake the behind the scenes role and try and rediscover my passion as strictly a collector. It certainly helped in the short term leading up to Halloween, but I found myself stepping away from the white mask world all together for about six months. I jumped head first into other hobbies and passions, and about two weeks ago I felt that "itch" again, and I found myself here, perusing the classifieds, then General Discussion, etc. A week went by and before I knew it I was back in the fold, even purchasing a new white mask. The break is exactly what I needed and I'm thankful that I didn't suffer a full blown case of burnout. Being a passionate member of any forum, as well as a collector, is a major investment for most. Factor in a role as a mod, etc. on top of that, and you double your investment. That can be both a good and a bad thing.

My advice to anyone on the brink of stepping away permanently is, take a brief hiatus before you sell one or all of your masks, and discover something new or revisit something old. Because there's certainly a level of excitement associated with returning to this hobby and playing catch up, or discovering that your favorite mask maker has released something new in your absence. Take comfort in knowing that the white mask universe you love so dearly has proven to be the proverbial "cockroach" of the hobby world.

It will always be here, awaiting your return. \M/

You're a friggin' poet, Blue! Nicely done.
User avatar
jeremi_02
 
Posts: 826
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Missouri
  

Re: Passion for the hobby....

Postby lionel_luthor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:20 am

I have been a horror fan for going on 23 years, but only recently started collecting props and masks as of about 2-3 years ago. Before that it was really only movie posters.

I feel that my passion ebbs and flows almost constantly now and at times I can really be the "need the next best thing" type.

When I started collecting Myers masks I didn't know what I was doing and jumped in head first without doing a whole lot of research. My goal at first was simply to have a mask representative of every movie in the series. Boy how things change!

Now I find myself very much wanting what are considered the best masks out there, whatever the reason may be. I've shifted from simply wanting screen accurate replicas to wanting more highly sought after and more highly regarded items.

I will very much sell off a mask if it will lead to helping me financially acquire a better piece, but now things are starting to slow down in that I have a number of pieces I currently can't see myself selling off. The funny thing is that once that unknown piece comes along that wasn't available previously all bets are off.

Also, when I started, finding the perfect 1978 Myers mask was probably my top goal, but along the way I have developed a major soft spot for Kirks.
For Sale:
-NAG/WMP 75K H1
User avatar
lionel_luthor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 am
Location: Midwest
  

Re: Passion for the hobby....

Postby coldsnakevenom » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:51 am

That was the main reason I originally came to the site, to acquire an accurate 1978 Myers replica. But I too have grown a soft spot for Kirks. I would even go so far as to say I almost prefer them to Myers. It just goes to show how a passion for one particular thing can spread and grow into other areas.
User avatar
coldsnakevenom
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 2189
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: milltownpass ireland
  

Re: Passion for the hobby....

Postby lionel_luthor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:58 am

coldsnakevenom wrote:I would even go so far as to say I almost prefer them to Myers.


Ditto here, nothing makes me drool right now like a great kirk. Like that 2K Kris is offering, it just makes me crazy. Soooo far out of my reach, but it's just spectacular.
For Sale:
-NAG/WMP 75K H1
User avatar
lionel_luthor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 am
Location: Midwest
  

Re: Passion for the hobby....

Postby Myerstat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:17 am

I saw a lot of love for Kirks being mentioned so I had to jump back in this thread again.

It really is amazing how things change as you spend more time in the hobby and especially thanks to this amazing board.When I first started collecting indie Myers,I couldn't see the big thrill of owning a Kirk replica.Then,soon after,I started to become intrigued by Kirks.I wouldn't commit to buying a flat-out Kirk,so I dabbled by buying a split.I ordered the Tiberius split from David Pope over at Boogeyman masks.Next thing I knew,I started really wanting a full blown Kirk.For Christmas,one of the gifts from my wife was a Commander 2.0 from Andrew at Jack in the Box.My love for
a great 1975 Captain Kirk replica has blossomed and I now own MANY Kirks.I think I prefer a great Kirk to a great Myers for sure!!

I'm glad you guys brought up the Kirk love.Here's to you folks!!!


:drinkers:
Last edited by Myerstat on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Myerstat
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 5867
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:42 pm
Location: Staten Island,NY
  

Re: Passion for the hobby....

Postby lionel_luthor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:05 am

Myerstat wrote:My love for a great 1975 Captain Kirk replica has blossomed and I now own MANY Kirks.I think I prefer a great Kirk to a great Myers for sure!!


It's strange isn't it? I never thought about any other masks beside Myers masks when I initially got into the hobby, then the Kirk bug hit me, and now all of a sudden my interest is being drawn to other masks like a Barlow (which has led to an appreciation of Death Studios masks) or a Captain Spaulding (which has led to a desire for other Devil's Rejects stuff).

I would have never thought about looking for stuff from other movies when I started collecting Myers masks, but now I want a Sam burlap head someday and a set of Strangers masks someday. I've even begun to develop somewhat of an appreciation for Jason hocks which is something I never thought I would do. I've never been a terribly big fan of the Friday the 13th movies, but this hobby has allowed me to appreciated them for what they are.

I guess that's what the passion is, an itch that hits you from time to time, sometimes one you thought you'd never have to scratch.
For Sale:
-NAG/WMP 75K H1
User avatar
lionel_luthor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 am
Location: Midwest
  

Re: Passion for the hobby....

Postby Myerstat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:18 am

lionel_luthor wrote:It's strange isn't it? I never thought about any other masks beside Myers masks when I initially got into the hobby, then the Kirk bug hit me, and now all of a sudden my interest is being drawn to other masks like a Barlow (which has led to an appreciation of Death Studios masks) or a Captain Spaulding (which has led to a desire for other Devil's Rejects stuff).

I would have never thought about looking for stuff from other movies when I started collecting Myers masks, but now I want a Sam burlap head someday and a set of Strangers masks someday. I've even begun to develop somewhat of an appreciation for Jason hocks which is something I never thought I would do. I've never been a terribly big fan of the Friday the 13th movies, but this hobby has allowed me to appreciated them for what they are.

I guess that's what the passion is, an itch that hits you from time to time, sometimes one you thought you'd never have to scratch.

I agree with every word of that and my collection certainly has become diversified.It is still progressing.

One other thing..Death Studios masks are INSANELY sweet!!My avatar is the R.I.P. Feeding Frenzy I got from Jeff recently.You have to really see this sucker in person and it photographs beautifully :wink:
Image
User avatar
Myerstat
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 5867
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:42 pm
Location: Staten Island,NY
  

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 7 guests