Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Talk about all of the Halloween franchise masks & films here.
Forum rules
- Please treat your fellow members and moderators with respect.
- Stay out of arguments (Don't fuel the fire). If you have nothing positive to say, move on to the next thread.
- If a thread is locked, deleted, or warnings were issued, a member should not open a new thread asking why such actions were taken.
- Avoid flaming, bashing, or other negativity.
- Be positive and have fun!

Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby GraveOctober » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:43 am

Does anyone know the effects of grease paint on a latex mask? Since it's an oil based product, I'm assuming it yellows a bit over time. But my concern is if it does any damage to the latex or changes texture as the oil dries out (crusting, cracking, etc.)? Has anyone ever tried this on a Kirk/Myers replica?

Thanks.
User avatar
GraveOctober
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby anth0777 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:52 am

Why would you even consider that an option :lol:
User avatar
anth0777
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:53 pm
Location: Standing on the shoulder of giants

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby Kirk Magnum » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:20 am

GraveOctober wrote:Does anyone know the effects of grease paint on a latex mask? Since it's an oil based product, I'm assuming it yellows a bit over time. But my concern is if it does any damage to the latex or changes texture as the oil dries out (crusting, cracking, etc.)? Has anyone ever tried this on a Kirk/Myers replica?

Thanks.



Now, I heard...that they used white clown grease paint for some touch ups on the original masks because the original paint was chipping off and they wanted something more tackier to stick to the latex. This makes makes total sense because a few years later the mask was yellowing while it was under Debra Hills bed. Again, let me repeat this...Debra Hill was NOT a smoker and as a matter of fact, she was a stench NON-SMOKER and converted several people over to non-smoking.

But yes, grease paint would harm latex and is not advised.

There's scare in the air, a tale of wicked delight, a tale of a terrifying Halloween night.
User avatar
Kirk Magnum
 
Posts: 2405
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:31 pm

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby HalloweeNMyers » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:23 am

I think your best bet would be to use acrylic paint....

It is a B**** to take off though. LOL
User avatar
HalloweeNMyers
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:45 pm
Location: Haddonfield illinois

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby anth0777 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:37 am

Kirk Magnum wrote:

Now, I heard...that they used white clown grease paint for some touch ups on the original masks because the original paint was chipping off and they wanted something more tackier to stick to the latex. This makes makes total sense because a few years later the mask was yellowing while it was under Debra Hills bed.


Where did you hear this from ?
User avatar
anth0777
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:53 pm
Location: Standing on the shoulder of giants

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby WarLocK » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 am

DO NOT... I repeat... DO NOT use greasepaint. I tried it for the helluv it after rumors surfaced that the original hero was painted with it years ago. The stuff will not adhere to latex and easily rubs off. It's just messy and no fun to work with. And I'm sure if left on for enough time may start to eat away at the latex. Stick w/ acrylic/latex/rcp based mixes.
User avatar
WarLocK
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 3684
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:27 am
Location: ATL-HELL

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby anth0777 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:37 am

Why the hell anyone would want to risk that based on a rumour is beyond me.of course it's going to rot the latex,but hey it was what was on the Hero then who cares :roll: sorry for sounding like a smarmy T*** but just stating the obvious.lol
User avatar
anth0777
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:53 pm
Location: Standing on the shoulder of giants

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby mtlongy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:52 am

anth0777 wrote:Why would you even consider that an option :lol:

My thoughts exactly :lol:

Image
User avatar
mtlongy
 
Posts: 6498
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:49 am
Location: Nottinghamshire- Warsop Mansfield - uk

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby GraveOctober » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm just entertaining a theory, relax.

Thanks for the response Billy. We actually painted a friend's St. Nick with clown white and it was closer and more authentic than anything I had seen.
User avatar
GraveOctober
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby mtlongy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:31 pm

nah man i respect the question, its just that it isn't A- as permanent as acrylic/paint and B- as safe for the latex as acrylic and paint although it may look pretty authentic to you its just not ideal at all

Image
User avatar
mtlongy
 
Posts: 6498
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:49 am
Location: Nottinghamshire- Warsop Mansfield - uk

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby GraveOctober » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:47 pm

mtlongy wrote:nah man i respect the question, its just that it isn't A- as permanent as acrylic/paint and B- as safe for the latex as acrylic and paint although it may look pretty authentic to you its just not ideal at all


I'm aware, thanks for your input.

I'm not recommending anyone uses it on their expensive, hard earned replicas. It's a risky idea, but it'd be cool if someone explored it.
User avatar
GraveOctober
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby mtlongy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:17 pm

GraveOctober wrote:
mtlongy wrote:nah man i respect the question, its just that it isn't A- as permanent as acrylic/paint and B- as safe for the latex as acrylic and paint although it may look pretty authentic to you its just not ideal at all


I'm aware, thanks for your input.

I'm not recommending anyone uses it on their expensive, hard earned replicas. It's a risky idea, but it'd be cool if someone explored it.

Yeah if you want to try it out maybe buy a DP, paint it flesh to start with and try it on that perhaps? :)

Image
User avatar
mtlongy
 
Posts: 6498
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:49 am
Location: Nottinghamshire- Warsop Mansfield - uk

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby myerspimp81 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:21 pm

There's rubber mask grease paints, they're completely fine to use. Can be sealed to make it more permanent.
User avatar
myerspimp81
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:08 pm

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby puckface » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:48 pm

When I was younger, I used cheap makeup on my DP Myers to accent the features. It was costume makeup, something that came in an army makeup set, I think. Black, green, brown, etc....

A short couple of years later, the mask quickly began to rot directly where the makeup was applied. The oils must have finally worked their magic.

User avatar
puckface
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
 
Posts: 3529
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:43 pm

Re: Painting a mask with face/grease paint?

Postby mtlongy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:55 pm

puckface wrote:When I was younger, I used cheap makeup on my DP Myers to accent the features. It was costume makeup, something that came in an army makeup set, I think. Black, green, brown, etc....

A short couple of years later, the mask quickly began to rot directly where the makeup was applied. The oils must have finally worked their magic.

Defo some good info there for people who are querying this. :)

Image
User avatar
mtlongy
 
Posts: 6498
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:49 am
Location: Nottinghamshire- Warsop Mansfield - uk

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests