My TCM Grail - Poulan 245A Chainsaw

Post about Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, etc. and other horror characters, movies and masks here
Forum rules
- Please treat your fellow members and moderators with respect.
- Stay out of arguments (Don't fuel the fire). If you have nothing positive to say, move on to the next thread.
- If a thread is locked, deleted, or warnings were issued, a member should not open a new thread asking why such actions were taken.
- Avoid flaming, bashing, or other negativity.
- Be positive and have fun!

Postby Leatherface7486 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Hey brothers!

I finally got a Poulan 245a Chainsaw, it is in decent condition. I cleaned it up a bit, took the log dog off, mixed the correct ratio of gas/oil. I even bought a new spark plug (Champion CJ8). Yesterday I got it started and a huge smile came to my face. What a mean sounding saw! I took the saw over to a stump that needed cutting, i cut most of it up, but as I made another cut, the engine stalled...

I gave it a few more pulls and, nothing! I checked the spark plug and I'm not getting spark. I bought the new plug because I thought this could be the problem, but no. I don't feel confident enough to take off the ignition coil to check the points, and being so close to Halloween, I don't want to chance getting it serviced and not finding parts if needed.

In one day My grail triumphed, and failed... I may have to settle for a different working saw to scare trick or treaters for the big day... I'm beyond bummed out. I even ordered a new handle because the rubber grip was ripped when I got it. It'll be screen accurate, but if it doesn't work, what good will it be?

Pat

Pat
Leatherface7486

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rfalzone13 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:21 pm

That really sucks man. With chainsaws like that I wouldn't even try to cut a thing. Would of just left it alone and use it as a prop if it works. Big bummer indeed. For a replacement. I say find a used Poulan pro that runs or if looking for something vintage find another brand Poulan or craftsmen that's vintage thats used and works. Hope that helps!

-You have one choice, boy: sex or the saw. Sex is, well, nobody knows. But the saw, the saw is family.
rfalzone13

Re: My TCM Grail - Poulan 245A Chainsaw

Postby crazydog500 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:49 pm

There are a few service places that work on chainsaws i would take it there somewhere in your area. Could be a little fix maybe either way they tune up your saws.

It doesn't matter what age you are, if you have the talent and the motivation you can do anything.

-Crazydog

crazydog500

Postby SlaughterHouseVictim » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:57 am

I bet I know exactly what it is..
You have to get a rebuilt kit on ebay and rebuild the carburetor..
trust me that's what I had to do with my 245 and 306 and they both start up with like 2 pulls now..

SlaughterHouseVictim
Michael-Myers.net Contributor
Michael-Myers.net Contributor

Postby Leatherface7486 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:49 pm

I ran some tests and I have determined that the problem is the carburator. I ordered the carb kit and hopefully that will solve the problem. Wish me luck brothers!

Pat

Pat
Leatherface7486

Postby ResidentEvilRock » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:13 pm

I second the carb rebuild. Those saws were made 40+ years ago. 40+ years of dirt and grime and then old gas will really do a number on a carb. Especially when the jets inside the carb are so small. It only takes a tiny amount of residue to give you severely aggravating amount of trouble. The more you try to run it, the worse it will get as it sucks more residue into the carb. While you are at it, I would completely drain the gas tank and clean it out really good too.
ResidentEvilRock

Postby Leatherface7486 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:28 pm

I just won an auction for another 245a. Hopefully I will get it by tuesday, but I still have my other saw that needs a carb rebuild, the kit should be here soon. This is the only Halloween since I was a kid that I am cutting it this close, I hope that all goes well. Thanks brothers and a Happy Halloween to you all!!!

Pat

Pat
Leatherface7486