Favorite feature on the original mask that defines him?

Michael-Myers.net General Discussion - Talk about the movies & masks here
Forum rules
- Please treat your fellow members and moderators with respect.
- Stay out of arguments (Don't fuel the fire). If you have nothing positive to say, move on to the next thread.
- If a thread is locked, deleted, or warnings were issued, a member should not open a new thread asking why such actions were taken.
- Avoid flaming, bashing, or other negativity.
- Be positive and have fun!

Postby Kirk Magnum » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:00 pm

On the original mask used in Halloween and Halloween II what is your favorite feature: slimness of the mask, fatness of the mask, eyes, chin, nose, ears, cheeks, lips, forehead or hairline? Since there several people that have worn the masks in the series, I narrowed it down to the only ones who really matter and defined the character in their own special way...Castle and Warlock. What defined each person wearing the mask in your opinion? (I'm not talking about movements, just the mask on their face; the mask on each of their faces fit entirely different...who wears it like you like it?)

Nick Castle in 1978's Halloween

Dick Warlock in 1981's Halloween II

For me...it's the cheeks and Nick Castle. For years I tried to figure out why the right cheek looked "V" shaped; I found out it's because he had his chin not fully in the chin spot of the mask. For Dick Warlock, it's the way his head made the mask fatter and the awkward looks it could give off. Pouting, angry, distorted and all around menacing.

What is yours?

There's scare in the air, a tale of wicked delight, a tale of a terrifying Halloween night.
Kirk Magnum

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Favorite feature on the original mask that defines him?

Postby puckface » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:00 pm

Gotta go with the lips on both Castle and Warlock. The famous "Castle stretch" and "Warlock smirk" are classic features that will make or break any replica out there in my opinion. The lips (and eye cuts) are always what draws me in on a mask because that's what's most memorable to me.

In a weird way, seeing the mouth distorted on Castle and Warlock reminds me that there is a human underneath the store bought mask. It's a common issue for a cheap, mass produced mask not to fit correctly, so seeing it pulled and stretched on someone's face is very creepy. The later masks all seemed to fit "too" well and lost that special feeling that the original mask had on Nick and Dick. (Nick and Dick, lol)

puckface
Michael-Myers.net Contributor

Postby Spook » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:20 pm

Great thread, Billy.

As much as I love Warlock's portrayal, Castle will always be how I see The Shape. As for favourite features of the mask, I like the cheeks and the 'v' brow/forehead. It really gives it a mean look, especially when viewed in profile.

After all these years, I still think we are yet to see a perfect representation of Castle or Warlock in the mask. I guess it's because not only do you need a perfect mask, but a perfect head shape, also.

Mark

Formerly THEMADBUG
Spook

Postby mtlongy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:39 pm

for me its defo the eye cuts :D great thread man :D

mtlongy

Postby WILDrkoBRZRKR » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:37 am

Surprised to see opinions similar to mine on this subject. I thought I was the ONLY one who felt this way, lol.

If were talking H-1 here, the answer for me is without a doubt, The Cheekbones. The mask (without question) looked it's best in the scenes where the cheekbones were very prominent, and noticeable IMO. It made the expression on the mask very mean, and just down right cool looking IMO.

As for H-2, the way the mask looked very wide on Warlocks head is what ultimately made me like it's look in the film. Which is funny because unlike the masks look in H-1 that I like so much, the cheekbones on the mask in H-2 (while stretched over Warlocks head) almost looked washed-out, or borderline non-existent, but somehow, looked just as cool to me, lol. It might have been a combination of the masks weathered look, but whatever it was, the mask just looked straight up Evil on Warlocks head.... Plain and simple. ..ANDY

Last edited by WILDrkoBRZRKR on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey um... you think I can get me one of them bear-claw thingies?
WILDrkoBRZRKR

Postby Johnny6666 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:48 am

Definitely the haired eyebrows. Definitely.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Johnny6666

Postby anth0777 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:10 am

Halloween The Castle Stretch
Halloween II The Dick Stretch :mrgreen:
anth0777

Postby slasher75 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:57 am

Castle made the mask look spooky and ghoolish with the droppy look and fresh white paint. Warlock made the mask look raw and evil with the matted hair and flesh tones popping out everywhere. If I had to pick one look I like the best. It would be when Castle wore the mask. I absolutely love the phone scene look and when he's at the top of the stairs looking down the hallway at Laurie and the kids. Soooooo ghoolish. :twisted:

slasher75

Postby MadMyers1975 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:28 am

Castle...I think his face made the character....with a number of different looks so hard to recreate.

MadMyers1975

Postby Michael Aspinwall » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:59 am

I really think it's his lips.

:pumpkin: I channel my inner Laurie Strode when I can. :pumpkin:
Michael Aspinwall

Postby whiteshark » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:22 am

For me, it's Dick Warlock. Both masks are sick, but, The way Dick wore it, he made it look so much scarier.The main feature that I like, is the the eye/forehead area. They way he wore it, made it look MEAN.

On Castle, the main feature was always the cheeks. For some reason, the cheeks always freaked me out. Something wasn't right about that, and it was just incredibly creepy.

The main feature on a Myers mask, though, is the HAIR. That is what really makes the Myers mask. The number one and top feature.

" JUST TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHAT WE'RE DEALING WITH HERE. DON'T UNDERESTIMATE IT."
whiteshark

Postby Michaelantern » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:24 am

Great thread Billy!

The look of the mask being worn in HALLOWEEN and HALLOWEEN II become distinctive based on how the eyecuts are stretched by the respective actor in my opinion.

To me the way the eyeholes stretch "open" for Castle DEFINES the look of H1 such as in the phone scene. His face stretches that mask in a very eerie way that is the essence of how I see the "Boogeyman".

When Dick wears the mask the eyeholes stretch "wide" or squinted to a degree. This gives the mask a more menacing and angry look that sets the tone for the more violent scenes of Halloween II.

"I am talking about the real possibility that he is still out there!" - Dr. Sam Loomis
Michaelantern

Postby psycho si » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:47 am

Johnny6666 wrote:Definitely the haired eyebrows. Definitely.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinkers:

What Chad said too...
by slasher75 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:57 pm

Castle made the mask look spooky and ghoolish with the droppy look and fresh white paint. Warlock made the mask look raw and evil with the matted hair and flesh tones popping out everywhere. If I had to pick one look I like the best. It would be when Castle wore the mask. I absolutely love the phone scene look and when he's at the top of the stairs looking down the hallway at Laurie and the kids. Soooooo ghoolish.

The opponent doesn't know me; I alone know him.
psycho si

Postby killah » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:44 am

The whole mask in general really.....The fact that it was out of shape really did it for me..but mainly............
I was fasinated with how it looked different in every scene!
Love love love it!!!
killah

Postby Loogs » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:25 pm

whiteshark wrote:The main feature on a Myers mask, though, is the HAIR. That is what really makes the Myers mask. The number one and top feature.

100% agreement here, Mike. Unfortunately, I also feel this is the most neglected aesthetic component in the majority of custom masks.

THEMADBUG wrote:After all these years, I still think we are yet to see a perfect representation of Castle or Warlock in the mask. I guess it's because not only do you need a perfect mask, but a perfect head shape, also.

Couldn't have said this any better myself, Mark. I understand durability is a concern and some owners never intend to wear the mask(s). Fair enough, but I truly wish more makers would consider thinner pulls for accuracy of those who do intend to wear them. With these normally thicker pulls, you can't pull off nearly as much distortion, these masks are not pliable and will not stretch & allow manipulation as a thin(ner) pull will. I mean, visualize the scene in H1 when Tony Moran is pulling the mask back on; look how much it stretches! That's what I want; super thin! Accuracy comes first-and-foremost above everything else for me.

I guess I need to start making my own masks :wink:

Until this moment he had hoped against hope that the entity he had pursued to this place was a thing of flesh and blood like himself, though deep in his heart he had known it would be otherwise
Loogs

Next