Buy a mask from the Michael-Myers.net Store:
h2 standard 150x150 Michael Myers Halloween Mask, Costume & Prop Store
H2 Mask - $54.99
h2 blood 150x150 Michael Myers Halloween Mask, Costume & Prop Store
H2 Blood - $54.99
halloween the curse of michael myers mask 1 150x150 Michael Myers Halloween Mask, Costume & Prop Store
H6 Curse - $54.99
halloween h2o twenty years later micheal myers mask 1 150x150 Michael Myers Halloween Mask, Costume & Prop Store
H20 Mask - $54.99
halloween resurrection micheal myers mask 150x150 Michael Myers Halloween Mask, Costume & Prop Store
Resurrection - $54.99

Carpenter not interested on Halloween II or III

Michael-Myers.net General Discussion - Talk about the movies & masks here
Forum rules

- Please treat your fellow members and moderators with respect.

- Stay out of arguments (Don't fuel the fire).

- If you have nothing positive to say, move on to the next thread.

- If a thread is locked, deleted, or warnings were issued, a member should not open a new thread asking why such actions were taken.

- Avoid flaming, bashing, or other negativity.

- Be positive and have fun!

Re: Carpenter not interested on Halloween II or III

Postby benny » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:50 am

50-oNe-50 wrote:lol, I guess i'll come from a different angle. The first thing is "we" did not put him where he is. He spent a lot of money making movies for us to watch & fawn over for years & years, not to mention making movies that WE love.

He's basically telling people that he's not interested in talking about 30 year old news. What some people found out or heard about 5-10 years ago is 30 year old news to him. There are just as many people who would say "grow the F up" had he come out talking about arguments & little spats & old drama that happened 25-30 years ago?!

He has no interest in talking about something he either doesn't really remember or just stopped caring about or maybe just was not really too important to him to store it in his memory banks for years & years's but he's somehow wrong for that?

He doesn't owe anybody a thing. He made movies & people chose to go or not to go see them & not only did people choose to see them but they loved the movies they love as it's now apart of peoples daily lives almost....And he owes people something for that??

It's a pretty selfish way of thinking to be honest. The minute somebody doesn't do what the "fans" want him to do, it's "grow up" "embrace the fans who put you where you are" "he's saying he doesn't give two shits about his fans" Actually no, he's saying exactly what he's saying in that he has no interest in taking part.

It's the fans that need to say thank you, not him to us. It's the fans that need to grow up, desperately wanting more & more & the minute he doesn't feel like it, some are so quick to turn sour on an almost 70 year old man who's not only talked about it more than he cared for (for us) but is somehow wrong or unappreciative when he chooses not to do something that a very small % of people on planet earth want him to do..It's some of us who should grow up & appreciate what he has given us instead of crying about what he hasn't given us or think he owes us. We need to say thank you & let him live out life the way he wants to without some 20 something snotty little kid acting like he owes anyone anything.

you said it better than i did..
benny
Michael-Myers.net Contributor

Postby Halloween 1978 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:57 am

He sure has no trouble with collecting any cash from the DVD through!!
Michael

Calling out the DEVIL is one thing....Facing him is another....
Halloween 1978

Postby anth0777 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:18 am

50-oNe-50 wrote:lol, I guess i'll come from a different angle. The first thing is "we" did not put him where he is. He spent a lot of money making movies for us to watch & fawn over for years & years, not to mention making movies that WE love.

He's basically telling people that he's not interested in talking about 30 year old news. What some people found out or heard about 5-10 years ago is 30 year old news to him. There are just as many people who would say "grow the F up" had he come out talking about arguments & little spats & old drama that happened 25-30 years ago?!

He has no interest in talking about something he either doesn't really remember or just stopped caring about or maybe just was not really too important to him to store it in his memory banks for years & years's but he's somehow wrong for that?

He doesn't owe anybody a thing. He made movies & people chose to go or not to go see them & not only did people choose to see them but they loved the movies they love as it's now apart of peoples daily lives almost....And he owes people something for that??

It's a pretty selfish way of thinking to be honest. The minute somebody doesn't do what the "fans" want him to do, it's "grow up" "embrace the fans who put you where you are" "he's saying he doesn't give two shits about his fans" Actually no, he's saying exactly what he's saying in that he has no interest in taking part.

It's the fans that need to say thank you, not him to us. It's the fans that need to grow up, desperately wanting more & more & the minute he doesn't feel like it, some are so quick to turn sour on an almost 70 year old man who's not only talked about it more than he cared for (for us) but is somehow wrong or unappreciative when he chooses not to do something that a very small % of people on planet earth want him to do..It's some of us who should grow up & appreciate what he has given us instead of crying about what he hasn't given us or think he owes us. We need to say thank you & let him live out life the way he wants to without some 20 something snotty little kid acting like he owes anyone anything.

It's an Amen from me Paul,well said :drinkers:
anth0777

Postby Kirk Magnum » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:15 am

I know the team at Shout and Red Shirt Productions is disappointed with John's declining to help but I don't think I ever said he owes us anything. I'm bothered, upset, let down, saddened, crushed, disappointed, annoyed, troubled and perplexed for Red Shirt Productions mainly. This was the 2nd time Red Shirt Productions have approached John about doing some kind of commentary for one of his films and he flatly said no without any reason...none. I'm pretty sure Red Shirt will also be producing the rest of the Supplemental Material on all of the Special Editions from Shout so you gotta ask the question...what will John help with on They Live?

With Halloween II John has stated he hated what he had to do, with taking the movie over. John said it was an evil thing to do and he didn't enjoy any of it because he would have hated for anyone to have done that to one of HIS films. So, I can kinda understand not wanting to deal with the BS on Halloween II or drumming anything up 30 plus years later. For Halloween III...John and Debra both wanted to get away from Myers and John was VERY enthusiastic about that so one would really think he'd be anxious to talk about that even though it didn't do well. Halloween III almost mirrors The Thing in a way...the movie didn't do very well but now has a pretty big cult following.

John's very laid back and you can tell, doesn't like dealing with BS. John seems like a straight shooter and will tell you the truth, no matter how bad it's gonna hurt, he'll tell you the truth. There was so much hostility on Halloween II, you can read about that in 2 different books on either Jamie Lee or John; near the end of filming on Halloween II many on the crew were in revolt. So, I can see John not wanting to deal with it but I also feel for the fans and Red Shirt being let down for the lack participation in this project. There were HIGH hopes John would be involved...I had a 2 hour conversation about this with Mike about getting John involved; the questions to ask him and the question not to ask him. It's just disappointing.
There's scare in the air, a tale of wicked delight, a tale of a terrifying Halloween night.
Kirk Magnum

Postby 50-oNe-50 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:17 pm

I was not directing my post towards you specifically, Billy on the off chance you thought that, but just speaking in general more or less as some of the talk between here & FB, some act like he's done something wrong. I agree in that It would have been great for him to speak about little behind the scene type things as those are the little gems of info.

Like, Matt said, maybe it's an exhausted subject with him, or doesn't even remember much about certain time periods from back then... Or just has no desire to do it & as you said, you can tell he doesn't do anything he has no interest in. If they do use stock interview footage, hopefully it's not the most generic of them. Maybe somebody will kind of take his place who were on/around the set back then.

ImageImage
The Vent Group..
What you really think about.......

http://www.facebook.com/groups/301458113296932/
50-oNe-50

Postby anth0777 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:55 pm

I'll always remember these words (i wanted to make westerns' i didn't want to make this Crap but westerns had died off so what are you gonna do) John refering to how he seen things at the time when Irwin came up with the idea for a babysitter killer thriller/horror, im sure he just seen it as work and a way to get himself some experience and out there and established and known and a way to pay the bills prior to actually starting filming and really getting into it on a full scale,for him he wanted Halloween to be a stand alone one off movie i really do believe that as he said chalked it off as something to put on his Curriculum Vitae when he thought the movie had bombed but because it was so successful in the end they came along and wanted to make a sequel and John had no interest in wanting to direct a followup even though he wrote the script he said i couldn't find anything to do with it so didn't do a very good job with it so all this probably plays on his mind everytime he gets asked about talking about any of the sequels and to a point even the Original,a bit of negative Sh!t there i'd say.
anth0777

Postby joeychocolatebars » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Like many here, Carpenter has been my favorite director. However, when we look back on who MORE THAN helped him on most of these films (Hill, Cundey, Wallace), we should realize that JC was part of a much bigger whole. This is evident upon looking at his later "original"work (Ghosts of Mars), remake attempt (Village of the Damned) and sequel atrocity (Escape From LA). Even JC's music went to crap in those films.
My point I guess is that when we look back at Halloween and JC's other masterpieces, we realize how many other great people, who Carpenter has acknowledged in the past, MADE the movies (Curtis, Atkins, etc). Without Akkad, Hill and Pleasence, there's not much JC alone can really add to an H2 commentary. Curtis, God Bless her, has more than thanked her fans with returns to the series. The H3 commentary line up is absolutely awesome, and I'd rather continue to speculate and debate which H2 scenes are JC's and which belong to Rosenthal. As for They Live (finally!) there is a R2 DVD with Piper and JC which is tremendous. JC is so excited to be watching the movie with Roddy. JC wouldn't sound like that now.
joeychocolatebars

Postby BRoswell » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Carpenter doesn't want to talk about a film that he obviously has no respect for, or a film that (despite the cult following it has received) was a critical disaster? What a shock.

Carpenter is fond of the original obviously, but I'm sure that he wishes H2 and H3 could be easily forgotten by people. Carpenter can be quite cynical and down sometimes, but I'm sure he doesn't want to talk about the negative experiences he had with those two films, and I really don't blame him.

Kirk Magnum wrote:So this begs the question...will he be doing an interview or commentary for They Live? What about if Scream (Shout!) Factory gets Prince of Darkness...what will he do then?

What do you think?

There's already commentaries that exist for They Live (Carpenter with Roddy Piper) and Prince Of Darkness (Carpenter with Peter Jason) that are on DVD in Europe. It'd just be a matter of Shout! Factory getting the rights to use them on their discs.
BRoswell

Postby Robert W » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:24 am

joeychocolatebars wrote:Like many here, Carpenter has been my favorite director. However, when we look back on who MORE THAN helped him on most of these films (Hill, Cundey, Wallace), we should realize that JC was part of a much bigger whole. This is evident upon looking at his later "original"work (Ghosts of Mars), remake attempt (Village of the Damned) and sequel atrocity (Escape From LA). Even JC's music went to crap in those films.
My point I guess is that when we look back at Halloween and JC's other masterpieces, we realize how many other great people, who Carpenter has acknowledged in the past, MADE the movies (Curtis, Atkins, etc). Without Akkad, Hill and Pleasence, there's not much JC alone can really add to an H2 commentary. Curtis, God Bless her, has more than thanked her fans with returns to the series. The H3 commentary line up is absolutely awesome, and I'd rather continue to speculate and debate which H2 scenes are JC's and which belong to Rosenthal. As for They Live (finally!) there is a R2 DVD with Piper and JC which is tremendous. JC is so excited to be watching the movie with Roddy. JC wouldn't sound like that now.

I would also add that without Bottin's contribution, The Thing would not have been the classic it is recognized as it is today.

Personally, I think Carpenter has just seen his fill of Hollywood and has simply turned his back on what he sees as an industry that is no longer interested in original stories, just pointless, crudely made remakes.
Robert W

Postby sixxshooter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:34 pm

I personally think the early and unfortunate death of his very dear partner Debra hill completely crushed John carpenter . Since her death he really does not enjoy or has lost a lot of enthusiasm towards Halloween . I think he is very proud of his work on Halloween but thinking back to that time must really open up a lot of emotions with her and she is simply not around to laugh and reflect about thoughs great times. R.I.P Debra hill
sixxshooter

Postby Robert W » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:12 pm

sixxshooter wrote:I personally think the early and unfortunate death of his very dear partner Debra hill completely crushed John carpenter . Since her death he really does not enjoy or has lost a lot of enthusiasm towards Halloween . I think he is very proud of his work on Halloween but thinking back to that time must really open up a lot of emotions with her and she is simply not around to laugh and reflect about thoughs great times. R.I.P Debra hill

I never thought of that, but it does put a lot of things in perspective.
Robert W

Postby DAN CHALLIS » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Really great reads everyday on this board guys, gotta love this place...

I truly believe the release will be an amazing watch and can't wait till it gets here... JC would've made for an even greater watch but he's got to be burned out. Hopefully he changes his views on things one day soon.

"DAMN YOU FOR LETTING HIM GO!"
DAN CHALLIS

Postby wtrailer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:06 am

It always seemed pretty clear to me that Carpenter had no intention of having his career peak with Halloween. It was the very beginning of his career and he probably felt there was much more for him to accomplish post Halloween. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. The story really ends after the original and he has made that pretty clear throughout the years. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Halloween II but not because it was a great movie but because the original was a great movie and I wanted a little more.

WT
wtrailer

Previous

Return to General Discussion